Tuesday, November 01, 2005

I'd say I'm a pretty impulsive person when it comes to spending money. After all, it only took me a couple of hours to decide one night that i wanted to buy an acoustic guitar (and she's worth every penny). So yeah, it was drizzling this afternoon so i decided that i needed an umbrella and dropped 30 at the campus bookstore for one of those gaudy tricolour sport umbrellas pictured here -----> .


Now this might seem to be an impulsive and expensive buy but let me tell you that the 30 spent today was longtime coming. First of all, as much as the rain makes my hair look sexy (haha) giving my strands that lustre and shine from being wet (and if u know me i don't do gel on the daily), it gets ur clothes wet and then u smell like a wet dog making u feel like a wet dog. I'm no scientist but being wet and cold i think increases your chances of getting sick with colds and aids (taking into account that my immune system is as effective as the Leafs defensive line). So yeah, I'm not a big fan of rain or raine (as in mada of OLP fame) making umbrellas a very necesary accesory.

Don't get me wrong, I've had umbrellas up here in my 4 years but they all broke cause they were cheap metal and they couldn't withstand the wind. Most of the time umbrellas when they catch a gust of wind, turn inside out, and that's happened a few times, but i remember on my way to class 2 years ago, the stem snapped in 2 and the head of the umbrella was carried away by the wind. If u're going to make umbrellas so thin it's gotta be made of adamantium or something. After losing Kato (my latest umbrella...which originally belonged to brother's friend Tommy Kato but he neglected to pick it up) a couple of weeks ago, it was only a matter of time before i got a new one.

Yoh but let me tell you about this tricolour tank. Firsttly, the colours are fruity making the umbrella look fruity but given my previous history of fruity (literally for one) umbrellas, it was a logical progression. And this umbrella is a tank... at least it weighs as much. The shaft is solid wood (no puns or metaphors intended) and the spindels or supports are reinforced well. Although, today wasn't a particulary windy day, i tried, rather than pointing the umbrella in the direction of the wind as i used to to prevent the umbrella folding inside out, i did the opposite to see if it could take it while maintaining structural integrity... no shakiness here. And as i was walking home, i caught jealous eyes a staring from owners with their dinky little KIA's of umbrellas with spindles sticking out through the nylon fabric. Suckers. No more trying to stay a step ahead of the wind. I got rain on the lockdown now.
posted by DarrenGene @ 2:43 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lets have a contest to see who's umbrella lasts longer!

    i got mine from THE BAY. but it looks strong. i hope.

    week 1: BRING IT!

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger Chris said…

    what about rane?

     
  • At 11:21 PM, Blogger Melody said…

    i'm jealous. i want a good umbrella!

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger DarrenGene said…

    week 1 results: it rained twice but not a drop on me

    yea and i'd take rane over raine and rain even if u threw in the sun

    melody, just mosey on down to the campus bookstore and hook urself up

    u think a single title "locked up" by a guy named Akon would sound real hard on the ganster rap tip but ut's actually the opposite

     
  • At 2:43 AM, Blogger kev said…

    I've totally been thinking about getting one of those beasts. But i was never sure if the investment was worth it. But now that you've test driven one of those babies, i'm making my way to that book store and gettin me one of those.

    Just this morning, i was opening my compact umbrella and the whole head of it came off, and i was left with the handle in my hand. I was quite suprised.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Archives
Affiliates
15n41n1