Thursday, October 12, 2006
just my luck
On my way thru a hiking trail in rural hawaii to meet up with the kids at the taro farm (biweekly field trips) i had to pass by a couple bungalos in the countryside, many marked with private property signs like (Get Out Ass!). Not your typical hawaiian aloha welcome. But yeah the first lot i passed by was pretty much a big open field with a lot of barking. I'm thinking to myself, Good thing that there's the fence seperating me from the firecrackers in there. But Oh wait there's an opening up ahead. As i'm walking past the opening, out come two screaming mutts coming at me full gallop attack mode without leashes on. On instinct I break into a sprint but i can only go so fast in flipflops and the mutts are gaining on me fast and im thinking, there's no way im going to outrun these dogs without runners on so i turn around flip off my pack getting ready to take a swing at the first dog when out from the field i hear the owner (who i can't see) yell a resounding "NO!" to which both dogs, within striking distance, stop in their tracks and turn the corner. Too close a call. I'm on my way down the trail passing yet another house with an unleashed dog lying at the entrance. She sees me , stands up and begins to growl. But i get past her without her snapping at me by walking real slow with reassuring chants of "easy girl, I'm your friend". i'm Thankful that I've managed to escape k9 cruelty twice and continue on along the trail. 5 minutes later I'm at a gate. There's not supposed to be a gate. I see a lady working in the garden (she's holding down her barking dog to prevent me from getting attacked) and ask her if this was the trail to the farm. She says I'm on the wrong trail and need to backtrack to the start. Just my luck.

What can i say? Not all dogs love me. All mosquitos do tho no matter where I am i catch em trying to make out with me. It's as if I'm as popular as the king of the (west) Nile.
posted by DarrenGene @ 5:50 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey darren!

    happened to land on your page... so i decided to leave a note.

    wow... that's soo scary! but i'm glad you're okay... (i'd be traumatized)

    i'm sure your adventures in hawaii are just beginning... hopefully next time i drop by you'll have more pleasant and happy ones. it's a roller-coaster - ups and downs! so hang in there.

    take care & all the best!

     
  • At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi dar!

    adventures are fun! we'll stand here and you go experience them!... how about squirrel bites? do you like those? i can ship some critters to you. i have lots...

    - katz

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ma diggas!

    don't forget rebel hates u too man for association of him hurting himself but looking at u while doing it. never step in my house ever again.

     
  • At 1:23 AM, Blogger MC said…

    Hi Dare Bear,

    Heard about the earthquake -- hope you're alright! Holla so we know you're OK!

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i wish i could go on a fieldtrip right about now... but i dont much dig the taro.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Archives
Affiliates
15n41n1