Tuesday, June 19, 2007
still alive still but disoriented
so manila's ridoncurous. Maybe it's the fact that road divisions and lines are really more guidelines, everyone cuts off everybody, u have cars merging into other cars coming mere inches from brushing against each other...crazzzzy! There's an invisible border that seperates the poor from the rich. The people at Counselo who are sponsoring our trip over here had us stay at the President's condo and then drive down to The Visayas Forum, Kim's safehouse where she'll be working at for girls caught in human trafficking and then checking out Kim's living quarters which looks pretty ghetto but by Phillipine standards in the slums is ballin.

I'm in Dumaguete now (i flew out from manila at 4 in the morning) and spent the whole day picking up household items that i'm going to need. Dumaguete is an interesting looking place that has the manila congested feel but it's a lot smaller than manila and feels more like a university town given the presenece of Siliman U, one of the prominent Universities in the PI. The place that i'm staying is going to be a little bit of a challenge for me since i currently don't have a shower (but a bucket instead), there's about a gajillion ants, coupled with the ridoncurous humidity that has the pores on my sweat sweating. But at the same time, I know i'm living it up in comparison to the living standards and conditions of my co-workers, which means i am in no position to complain.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. If anything, I feel pretty grateful just to take this all in. I've had a chance to explore dumaguete on my own just walking on the streets (it's like frogger crossing the streets) and u see the strangest things: a boy trying to tug a huge oxen only having that oxen tug the boy instead, 5 ppl packed on a motorcycle meant for one, ppl are real friendly and happy to talk to you, every teenage boy rocking chuck taylors. The language barrier is apparent so im trying my best to pick up survival visayan as quick as i can. I'll throw up some pictures soon.

This week ahead looks like a lot of meetings and a lot more super heavy but delicious meals (5 meals a day! what!) and i start working at my organization next week. And while typing this blog, i think i've sweated away a pound...and it's 9pm at night. Thanks errybody for the wellwishes and prayers!
posted by DarrenGene @ 8:32 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger Johnny said…

    miss u buddy. keep us updateeeed lah

     
  • At 12:05 AM, Blogger JenNiferHY said…

    ants eh? they're not as bad as geckos living in ur apartment though...at least i think. i'll take ants anyday.

     
  • At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    brotha, stay alert and stay safe. you're in my prayers.

    much love
    -zak

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Archives
Affiliates
15n41n1