Tuesday, February 13, 2007
The last of a dying breed
yep. you heard it here first. I am the last of a dying breed on the island. I am what remains of what was a pretty dominant ethnic group called... the Chinese.

So i was reading an article today in the honolulu advertiser about chinese parents seeking to make a connection to their lost host culture by sending their kids to chinese school on sunday mornings:

"I've been so Americanized," said Au, a third-generation Chinese-American. "When I was young, I just wanted to be 'local.' ... I realized everyone from Hawai'i had an ancestry that should be explored. Then my children came along, and I didn't want them to lose that link."

At work at first with the co-workers:
Pua: hey darren, i hope you don't mind me asking. What ethnicity are you?
Me: Chinese
Pua: Chinese and...
Me: Just the one.
Pua: No way! Can you speak Chinese?
Me: yeah a little bit
Pua: ho brah! you're the first guy i've met that can
Me: What about you? I'm going to take a guess... Portugese?
Pua: yes... along with some german, english, chinese, filipino, and japanese, and a little mongolian.
Me: dayum!
Pua: Fan kae!
Me: funky?
Pua: no! tomato!
Me: nice you got the chinese on lock down too.

and as i went to pick up some chinese grinds at the local chinese bakery to pick up some dumplings they were all up over the place but nowhere on the menu. Turns out that dumplings aren't called dumplings around these parts, but officially known as "pot stickers" cause that's what they do. JUN HUY HO KAY GWAI!

so i figure if social work doesn't work out, im going to rent a space in chinatown, slap on my chinese accent and sell my cultural services to the locals as either an ancient chinese herbalist or a fortune teller, i have yet to choose. I was initially thinking of being a Kungfu sifu but that's a little bit harder to fake. Well... there's always tai chi
posted by DarrenGene @ 5:57 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    remember the migrant workers that arrive on boats. your country could receive more of them - but now they have a pretty strict data fortress to prevent this (or try to anyways). i learn a lot in surveillance class.

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    AHahha.. man, Darren, one of the few blogs that are updated regularly.. haha so your program is THAT busy eh? :P then again... i've got enough time to check ure blog regularly so what does that say about me? .... moving on. lol.. I can always count on this to make me laugh.

    Anyways, maybe you can bring some BBQ pork back. smuggle it in haha.

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    go with fortune teller!!! DOO IT!, then you can be like that jamaican lady with the cards, saying all the jamaican type things!.......with a asia-fied accent

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Archives
Affiliates
15n41n1