Wednesday, December 07, 2005
reeeeeee-flect


So i've been pretty conflicted in the past 48 hours about social work and why exactly I'm applying to social work programs right now. Figured that social work would be the "logical" progression after finishing up an undergrad in sociology for the following reasons:

1) Sociology is the study about how the world we live in is bleeding from all orifices is and social work sees itself as the itsy bitsy band-aid

2) Since both disciplines are the object of crude jokes u wouldn't say in front of your granny with a dash of pity at medical conventions and legal cocktail parties, i won't have to throw away my list of snide scientists, doctors, lawyers, and professional charlatans that i plan to assassinate when i make the transition from sociologist to social worker


3) They both start with Soci... like socicannibalist


after some digging into what being a social worker is all about, especially with regards to child welfare, I've come to realize that many of the stereotypes of being a social worker are shockingly true:

1) The pay is low. Median salary is 30-35 gs. A small minority of supervisors and social workers of social workers see double that but that's about as high as that goes.

2) Social workers working in child welfare do face the risk of bodily harm... from the parents of the kids u've decided to remove from the home for safety issues

3) there's a high turnover rate for social workers due to not being paid enuf, not being prepared for the harsh realities of the job, beauracratic mumbo jumbo, and developing cases of depression.


So all this got me thinking. Is it all worth it? Is social justice and change high on my list of priorities that i'd be willing to forego personal riches of a more money-laden job? Do i really care THAT much? Now I realize I can read and read and read and still not know what being a social worker is really about since I'm looking in from the outside but my initial impression is like this job could turn out to be like watching a Passion of the Christ movie marathon over and over again and skipping over the part where we know that Christ overcomes the grave at the end.

Then just recently while reading an article for an essay I'm writing (yes i still have work to do you insensitive monkeys) I came across this quote which floored me:

"We simply cannot transform the world without in the process of transforming ourselves. We cannot stay fabulously rich and still pretend that we are committed to eradicating poverty. If doing away with inequality means - and does it not mean this? - that our privileges must be shared equally and universally." - Brain Murphy (Inter Pres)

and in light of all the biblestudies that alvi and I have been leading about not living for ourselves, it really got me to thinking to what extent do i take this... being committed to others, living a life not of my own... seriously?

you know and u pray for this sort of thing that God would do whatever the hell he wants with you and that u just learn to be submissive... man what if God's calling me to do this and the "perils" of the job is making me not want to listen?

man.
posted by DarrenGene @ 6:46 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger jann said…

    my gr.11 socy teacher told the class once that if you're an emotional person, social work ain't for you.
    and after socy last year, no more for me! haha.

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey darr,

    intense post. i feel you - and i think in the end - the profession where you belong will bring you the most joy and blessing - despite heartache. keep searching it out, friend! and be true to your heart!

    catch ya laters

    - katz

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i don'tunderstand the part about the penis

    But social work, especially a masters opens a lot of doors, not just the ones you listed, example my maza.

    You can do the nitty gritty stuff when you're still able to on the "Streets" as such and you'll progress, especially since you're male and even though people think there is equality in hiring practices.. it's not really true. It's an average of income that you're looking at, which means there are highs and lows to that. you'll most likely be on the higher side darren wong.

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    a few things:
    1) yes as a wannabe pharmacist i avoid ur list of assassination (oh crap i think i fall under pro charlatans)

    2) we need bisty band-aids in the world. to that child u save maybe they may not know it then and there but u gave them a big band-aid in teh game of life

    3) u can always work for the city of TO - starting wage is bout 40gs wid awesome benefits (summer student = presciption oakleys), paid sick days, paid vacation time, dental, health, drug plans. u don't do a lick of work really, sleep on the job (yes i did my fair share of both) but in the end of the summer wid my oodles of $$$ i made did it make me satisfied? my pocket said "ya hooray for $$$", my mind said "beat me over the head with that weed-eater please cuz its so boring, must stop the pain", my heart said "theres no fulfillment here, why r u doing this?" then my pocket said again "yo hooray for money" then i say "life can't be bout the C.R.E.A.M. (see wutang)".

    i guess my point is this: u can't measure success or fulfillment with money. in my case no matter how much money i made the grass is still going to grow (analogy, making money yes but no success was achieved or fulfillment attained). do what u feel will make life fulfilling.

    ok i write too much, peace man

     
  • At 11:32 PM, Blogger DarrenGene said…

    thanks for the encouragement friends =)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Archives
Affiliates
15n41n1