Wednesday, August 02, 2006
i'm home!


Four days in everything’s pretty much been all work and no play signing leases, opening accounts, and stopping pedestrian traffic with camera in hand (along with the thousands of other foreigners from Japan). Cell phone’s been ringing off the hook but they’re all my mom’s old HK school friends (cause everybody that went to HK apparently went to the same school) and UH alumni-mates checking up on us taking us out for dinner, lunch, and everything in between. Cell phone directory’s filling up pretty fast but all the entries begin with "auntie", which might be a good thing that I have a bunch of my mom’s friends watching out for me or a really bad thing that I have a bunch of my mom’s friends watching out for me. I haven’t decided yet. But most of the bureaucratic bidness is taken care of so I’m going to have some time in the weeks to come to hit the beaches and the malls. But anyways, here’s a quick update:

I’ve secured my apartment and it’s a beaut: block and a half away from campus, in a real quiet residential neighbourhood in the manoa valley. There’s a real nice breeze that comes over the mountains which make for cool nights and breezy days. Have 3 mango trees growing around me and although they’re a bit stringy, they’re real sweet. There’s wild blossoms everywhere as well as parrots that visit my neighbourhood. Frequent but short downpours make for lots of rainbows. And lots of rainbows make for lots of pots of gold which is probably why the cost of living is high. Downside is that it might be a little too quiet and there’s no room for noise in this community (no love for the tak =().

But yeah everything here is stone cold stunning. From the trees to the view to the peeps. I’ve heard that Toronto has a little bit of a reputation for some real burners but mang you just don’t know tdot, you just don’t know! If anything there’s a higher frequency for burners and many of the mixed, dark skinned, breed. Mix that with what we call here the “aloha spirit” which means out with the snobiness and in with the hospitality and we’ve got ourselves a lil love potion number 5 or combo number 5 or mambo number 5, depending on the appetitie. Guarantee you I’m going to have neck problems after a week.

Miss yall still tho! Next time we all meet I might be more Samoan than chinky, yah? Yaaaahhhh. Aloha nui loa (much love).
posted by DarrenGene @ 3:01 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sounds like u have a keanu coming in from the mountains

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    alllooooohaaa.

    stupid canadian muggy rain weather! YOU STOLE OUR SUNSHINE! :@ <- msn angry face. boo blogspot w/ no emoticons. oh...
    >=| there we go. have fun soaking it up darr! save us a place in your palace! oh yeah and some monies to ship us out!

    alloooohhhhaaaa

    - katz

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Archives
Affiliates
15n41n1