Thursday, August 10, 2006
not everything's paradise
despite the great sights and the chilllen times, not everything's paradise up in here. I got caught in some bureacractic redtape the past week and the result is now I have to fly back to Vancouver to get things straightened out. Here's the full story:

When crossing thru customs in vancouver, with student papers and visa information in hand, the customs agent waived me through before I had a chance to show him my papers. Because I was travelling with my folks, he assumed that we were all tourists (neglected to check that one of the boarding passes had no return flight). I'm like, ok that's fine. If I don't have to show my papers then I guess I'm okay. Upon arrival into Honolulu I paid a visit to the International Student Center to let them no I was in town but apparently I was missing a crucial document: a 3 by 5 little cuecard with my name on it stamped in redink that I should have received at the border, but because the customs agent thought I was a tourist and not a student, I received no such cuecard. After pleading my case with the director, with the immigrations officer, Homeland security, and the Canadian embassy, I now have to return to Vancouver just to walk thru the gate one more time.

Because of shoddy instructions, an unwatchful customs agent, and a history of everyone telling me to say as little as possible and be cool when crossing borders, I have to fly back, on my parents' dime, so i can fly back in...just with a little 3 by 5 index card. But if anything, i worked it out so that i'm going to spend a couple nights in vancity with my bro so i can at least make the trip somewhat worthwhile, but dayum. Homeland security is tight, unforgiving, and unapologetic. This is my rant for the day.
posted by DarrenGene @ 4:27 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger MC said…

    BOOOOOO! that is sucko! But YAAAAAAY! time with your bro in that nice tight condo...

    I like the picture posts! Keep them coming! You're in our prayers and forever in our hearts -- although I heard you had a going-away party and neglected to invite me or my boy Ker.. you know, the one you've known for a good part of your life and who makes fun of you all the time and used to push you around. What's up with that? You're lucky you're in Hawaii...

    :)

     
  • At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    as friday comes around and the weekend starts, we're about to play the most anticipated game of the season...except we're missing one DARREN WONG!!!...i hope hawaii and vancouver is worth it!!!...haha i bet it is except for homeland security haha...i guess we're just gonna hafta make it such a good game that u BEG to come home!!

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey darren!
    stumbled upon your blog a couple of days ago.

    don't forget that your frosh lives in vancouver! ;) though i'm leaving in a couple of days... sucks to hear what happened but at least you'll get to see beautiful bc (harhar) again! bring some sunshine back will ya?

    -viv

     
  • At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "vigilant" is the word of the day thanx to george w. and homeland security...hope the use of "george w." and "homeland security" doesn't red flag u with those vigilant internet police in the us. and they probably r going to tap ur phone too cuz they r just being vigilant.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Melody said…

    oh darren... the hassles of being an international student and in that far-off american island. i hope they don't censor your blogs/e-mails. :) missing ya back here... hope everything works out and take care of yourself.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Archives
Affiliates
15n41n1